b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Can absence of evidence be evidence of absence?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Gabe Eisenstein <gabe AT cascadeaccess.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Can absence of evidence be evidence of absence?
  • Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 16:33:05 -0800

Karl wrote:

>Where do you get your figures? [regarding population of northern Israel]

See "The Bible Unearthed" (Finkelstein) p.193.
For number of deportees see Sargon's monument in British Museum.

> > 2Kings17: 18 "... there was NONE LEFT (lo nisha'ar) but Judah alone"
>This is a mistranslation. Go back to the Hebrew.

Gladly! I'm here to learn. Please translate it correctly for me...
WYSRM M)L PNYW L( NS(R RQ SB+ YHWDH LBDW

> > 2Kings17:20 "And Yahweh rejected ALL THE SEED OF ISRAEL (kol zera'
> > yisra'el), and delivered them into the hand of spoilers, until He had
> > cast them out of His sight."
>Again you are adding to the text. As written, it doesn't support your claim.

It's amazing that by quoting KJV I am "adding to the text".
Please give me the correct translation of
WYM(S YHWH BKL ZR) YSR(L

>What are epicycles as applied to the text? What makes you think I am not
>using the same standards for the Bible as I would apply to the Vedas,
>Gilgamesh or the Book of Mormon?

The "epicycle" I meant was the invention of a second group of people with the same name as the Philistines.

>How much of your logic is based on misreading the text, as in your example
above?

How many of your responses to other people come in the form of a tendentious question, in which you suggest things the speaker never intended or make unverified claims of your own?

Gabe Eisenstein