b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] About Dagesh's

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Vadim Cherny <him AT vadimcherny.org>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] About Dagesh's
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 20:36:27 +0300

Quite simply, post-tonic is a vowel after stress. The stress can be primary or secondary.

hitlA.besh
hA.davAr

Without dagesh, post-tonic vowels tend to contract, as in English gather - gath'r. The Hebrew example is seghollate: cAlav - cal'v - calb - celev. Post-tonic vowel reduction is especially problematic in singing.

Yitzhak Sapir wrote:

Vadim has his own theory and I'm not sure he himself knows what post-
tonic means. I do not believe there is any way to reconcile his theory
with modern scholarship into the Tiberian system. As a Cantorial
student, I suppose you'll have to deal with some two separate issues:
1) Modern pronunciation of the Tiberian tradition
2) The Tiberian system itself as explained by the Tiberians

Can it be that you feel the pause which necessarily precedes non-aspirated consonants? You cannot pronounce nizcar in a single breath, but have to stop before the non-aspirated caf.
In a sense, non-aspirated begedkefet appeared by assimilating the preceding dagesh: niz.char - nizcar

> Yigal Levin wrote:

> I, BTW, certainly do "hear" (or maybe it's "feel") the Dagesh Hazaq in daily speach. That could be because I know that it's there.

Vadim Cherny