b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] About Dagesh's

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: b-hebrew Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] About Dagesh's
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 23:14:06 -0400

As for the masora we need to separate fact from fiction, or practice from theory. It is a fact that in Exodus 12:31 the word C)U is with an apparently authentic dagesh in the zade, why is the dagesh there is free for all theoretical explanation.
I am suspicious of arguments depending on syllable formation. Some grammar books have this "rule" that after a qametz, considered by them for some obscure reason to be a "TNU(AH GDOLAH", the schwa is "NA (", or an opener of a syllable. By this logic the word $ABRU, for instance, is to be read $A-BRU [$AAA-BRU?], which could only be suggested by someone who has actually never tried to speak Hebrew.

Isaac Fried, Boston University