b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Piel - was About Dagesh's

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Vadim Cherny <him AT vadimcherny.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Piel - was About Dagesh's
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 12:51:38 -0400

Vadim,

I agree that some people have a greater and deeper sensitivity to what they are reading than others and may feel a sense of intensity in the "loaded" piel form. I just fail, in my rational way of thinking, to see it.
RCX, 'murder' is quite an intensive action yet is not used in the piel form, likewise HRG, 'kill', and likewise HRS, 'destroy'. We have BA(AR, 'burned', and BI(ER, 'eradicated'. Is the latter stronger then the former? Possibly.
I think that the Hebrew grammar books, especially those geared to young students, should refrain from making tentative statements. A teacher may raise the possibility and encourage a discussion on this aspect of the piel form, but he should desist from imposing a doubtful opinion.
Who is this James Bar and what is so special about him that he has hardcore followers? Can I find his writings on-line?

Isaac Fried, Boston University