b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] About Dagesh's

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: "Yaakov Stein" <yaakov_s AT rad.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] About Dagesh's
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 00:39:23 -0400

Yaakov,

It is apparently a font or encoding issue, possibly resulting from the fact that I use a Mac. Yitzhak and Vadim get the Hebrew right, methinks.
I looked up Minxat Shai at www.hebrewbooks.org but it does not list the other places. I think I know of two other instances: Exodus 12:15, where S)OR is with an S dgusha, and Psalms 17:10, where SAGRU is with an S dgusha as well.
The book is scanned from an 1814 edition written in "Rashi" script, which is inconvenient to read. Do you know of a later edition, possibly available on-line, and set is square letters?
My point is that the dagesh and nikud are separate systems, the union of which may be confusing. I suggest therefore [possibly not at the right place and utterly Quixotic, as some people believe that the dagesh was handed down to Moses on Mount Sinai] that the Hebrew Academy in Jerusalem banish the dagesh completely and for good [except in BK"P] from pointed secular writing. After all, what is the purpose of the dagesh in the M of (AMI, 'my people'? Those who pretend to read it (AM-MI, speak Hebrew in their heart not their mouth and would have read it equally with as without the inner dot.

Isaac Fried, Boston University