b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Where Is Jacob's Ladder?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: dwashbur AT nyx.net
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Where Is Jacob's Ladder?
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 18:49:16 -0800

On 10 Nov 2007 at 16:17, K Randolph wrote:

> Dave:
>
> On 11/10/07, dwashbur AT nyx.net <dwashbur AT nyx.net> wrote:
> > Karl,

> > Dave Washburn
> > As a French hippie might say, "Je ne creuse pas!"
>
> In the June discussion, we noted that Hebrew often uses the definite
> article where in English we use the indefinite. The example that I
> remember off the top of my head was that of "the" escapee from Sodom
> who went and reported to Abram that his nephew Lot was taken captive.
> While he was a particular one, he was not named or otherwise
> identified, so in English we would use an indefinite article.
>
> It is the same syntactical pattern in this story, so we expect to find
> a definite article in connection with "place", so literally, "In the
> place..."

I thought that was more or less what I said. The only thing I expanded on
was the possibility
that it's not a definite article, in order to deal with Jim's rejection of
the Masoretic pointing. I
totally agree that we have a definite article here. Are we talking right
past each other
again? If we are, it's probably my fault...