b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Where Is Jacob's Ladder?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Where Is Jacob's Ladder?
  • Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 17:45:13 -0500

Hi men,

Contrary to Speiser, I say the vowel pointing of bammaqom has little to do with this business. Moses writes, vayyiphga` bammaqom vayyalen sham vayyiqqax me'abney hammaqom. See how the writer tracks the place in three successive clauses: bammaqom...sham...hammaqom. Clearly the place is monumental in importance. It is a *certain place*.
In fact, if the setting is not important and specific in the narrative, why does the writer need to even mention that Jacob happened upon *a* place or *the* place where he stayed the night? For the writer to mention the obvious here is to highlight the significant.
I think the rules of cooperation and relevance that exist between a writer and his audience strongly indicate that it was a "certain place."

I don't imagine this has much to do with Jim's hypothesis one way or the other, a hypothesis which I also do *not* think has "a place" in the b-hebrew forum.

Shalom,
Bryan