b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Where Is Jacob's Ladder?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: dwashbur AT nyx.net
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Where Is Jacob's Ladder?
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 09:13:47 -0800

Karl,

On 10 Nov 2007 at 5:35, K Randolph wrote:

> > > Here I think you overemphasize the importance of the definite article.
> > > I think its position here is more to fulfill the expectations of
> > > grammar than to change meaning.
> >
> > Not sure I follow. Could you elaborate a little?
> >
> If you remember, we had a discussion on this in June of this year,
> detailing many places where Biblical Hebrew takes the definite article
> where English takes an indefinite article. In that place it started
> with the use of the definite article in Isaiah 7:14. Other verses were
> mentioned as well.

I do remember that discussion. I just wasn't sure what you meant by "more to
fulfill the
expectations of grammar than to change meaning." Are you speaking strictly
of Hebrew, or
of the rendering into English? I was hoping you'd expand a little on the
part about
"expectations of grammar." I don't remember that much about the June
discussion, and
since I have a day of scuba diving planned, I don't have time to look it up
;-)

Dave Washburn
As a French hippie might say, "Je ne creuse pas!"