b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 15: 13, 16 (was "Language, migration and Jewish identity")

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <JimStinehart AT aol.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 15: 13, 16 (was "Language, migration and Jewish identity")
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 18:02:50 -0800

Dear Jim,

I did not claim that the text in 15:13, 16 mentions Egypt; although it is
clear
from the context of chapters 12-16 that that is what it is assuming.

You are reading into the text what is not there including the idea of 6-month
calendar instead of full years, that Lebanon is the base of operations for
Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, and a host of other items.

The Patriarchal narratives take place from ca. 2250- 1750 BC. (Abraham to
Joseph) +/- 50 years. You have not proven your case at all. Methinks thou
protesteth too much.

I look at the Patriarchal narratives as giving good history of the period of
the
beginnings of the Hebrew people. I trace the story of Joseph to ca. 1875 BC
and
the reign of Sesostris III. I find the Pharaoh who did not know Joseph to fit
the beginning of Hyksos Period (1750-1570 BC) very well. There is much that we
still do not know; and probably will never know due to various reasons among
which are destruction and time. Absence of evidence does not mean evidence of
absence, e.g. the list of kings mentioned in Genesis 14 who overthrew Sodom,
Gomorrah and the other cities of the plain.

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III