b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Was Schewa really silent?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Dr Raoul Comninos <capechurch AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Was Schewa really silent?
  • Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 07:13:00 -0400

Raoul,

Hebrew speakers do [and possibly did] indeed routinely turn, at their convenience, some Schwas into an E or an A, but this has nothing to do with the imagined existence of a systematic Schwa "NA(" [except as an abstract grammatical device in terms of which to formulate the BGD KPT rules]. Whenever I feel really compelled to to "move" a Schwa I insert instead a tiny gap. Hebrew sounds to me very good [and right] this way.
I have just listened to a well known Israeli actor-singer read selected psalms. Not that he is an expert on Hebrew, but he follows the accepted [actually undisciplined] prevailing conventions on pronunciation. Here is how he reads chapter 23. Contrary to my habit I am writing here below all Hebrew words in lower case letters but with his insertions enlarged.
...lEdavid...mEnuxot...yE$obeb...bEmaAglei...lEmaan... $ibtEka...corEray...rEvayah...YirdEpuniy...yEmei...bEbeit...lEoerk...
The first thing to notice is that he turns all the prepositioned Schwaic B-, K-, L-, M- into a BE-, KE-, LE-, ME-. This is fine with me. Hebrew speakers do this routinely with non radical extensions, thinking of them as independent words.
Some words such as TKULAH, 'content', are pronounced now with an "unmoved" T [even though it is supposedly a Schwa "NA"], probably because the common Hebrew speaker intuitively considers the initial T an integral part of the word, rather than an attached condensed personal pronoun AT for the thing itself. Yet he clearly pronounces HI) TE-SALEQ, 'she will expel'.
The second thing to notice is the added E after L, M, N, R, Y, as in R [E]VAYA, which I would read RVAYA, and Y[E]MEI, which I would read YMEI. I would also read BE-MA[ ]GLEI, not BE-MA[A]GLEI, $IBT[ ]KA, not $IBT[E]KA, COR[ ]RAY, not COR[E]RAY and YIRD[ ]PUNIY, not YIRD[E] PUNIY.
It is worthwhile trying.

Isaac Fried, Boston University