b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Was Schewa really silent?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "James Christian Read" <james.read AT student.anglia.ac.uk>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Was Schewa really silent?
  • Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 13:07:03 +0100

Hi All,

I'd like to thank everybody for their answers and offer
apologies in advance if there is something I have
missed but what I was really hoping to see was evidence
based on raw data rather than explanations of theories of
when the schewa should or should not be pronounced.

e.g.

i) Do the Massoretes themselves say that some schewas
should not be pronounced?
ii) Is there any transliterational evidence that backs
up theories of when the schewa is silent?

Thanks,

http://www.lamie.org/hebrew - thesis1: concept driven machine
translation using the Aleppo codex
http://www.lamie.org/lad-sim.doc - thesis2: language acquisition simulation