b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Was Schewa really silent?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dr Raoul Comninos" <capechurch AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Uri Hurwitz" <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Was Schewa really silent?
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 18:12:52 +0200

I think sometimes the waters are muddied in that people speak of the
Masoretes' pointing as if it were something they invented. The system
reflects their understanding of Hebrew language. They did not invent
the vowels. The simply reflected them as they understood them. If they
distinguished between shewa and hatep shewa, it must be, in my view,
because the one sound different from the other.