b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Definite Article 7:14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Tory Thorpe <torythrp AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Definite Article 7:14
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 10:12:41 +0100

On 16/07/2007 03:02, Tory Thorpe wrote:
HH: How is it that a Christian comment is partisan, but the JPS study
Bible is non-partisan? How is JPS non-partisan?

The JPS footnote is nonpartisan because it does not attempt to restrict the meaning of almah to a physical virgin, as you do constantly. Any comment, be it from a christian or a martian, which attempts to narrow the definition in such a way that physical virginity is "generally to be assumed" is partisan.

In other words, anyone who disagrees with you or tries to offer any evidence of any other position, whether "a christian or a martian", is partisan and ought to be denied the right to put forward that evidence. Tory, I more or less agree with you on this issue, but I am embarrassed to agree with someone taking the attitude you do. Instead, please let them offer their evidence, and then give your counter-arguments which, if they are as strong as you claim, should settle the matter.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org