b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] virginity

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] virginity
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 10:01:11 +0300

Dear Rivka,

I agree that the discussion of the "Almah" in Isaiah 7:14 was turning into a
theological debate, and I'm happy that the thread took a different direction
before I (or another moderator) had to step in. Just goes to show that most
people on this list are serious and responsible and realize the bounds of our
discussion.

The discussion of whether "almah" in general means "virgin" is certainly
legit. And one cannot understand what a word really "means" if one ignores
the cultural etc. background in which that word is used. So while I feel that
the thread may be running out of steam, I do not think that it's off-topic
for this list, and will certainly want to hear if someone has any new
insights or information.

Yigal