b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Definite Article 7:14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Tory Thorpe <torythrp AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Definite Article 7:14
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 02:07:09 -0400

On Jul 16, 2007, at 1:25 AM, dwashbur AT nyx.net wrote:

How does Gen 34:3 suggest any lack of physical virginity? Are you basing this idea on the
fact that PARQENOS in that verse translates NA(AR in Hebrew? I have no idea what your
point is from this verse, or how it "shows" anything.

Dave Washburn
But I can't say Sylvester, George!

It's very simple. If the word PARQENOS meant only physical virginity to Alexandrian Jewish translators then Dinah was still a physical virgin even after being raped according to the Greek translation of Gen. xxxiv 3. Now I suppose its possible the translators may have felt that Dinah remained pure and that by some miracle her hymen was not broken; but it is painfully obvious that the usage of PARQENOS among Jews in the 3rd century BCE could not have been limited to women who never had intercourse. One simply has to keep this in mind when reading the Greek version of Isa. vii 14.

Tory Thorpe