b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Job 6:16, was definite article in Isaiah 7:14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard3 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Job 6:16, was definite article in Isaiah 7:14
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 17:15:09 -0500

Dear Isaac,
I looked it up and Indeed Job 16:6 is translated as "They are dark because of ice; snow is piled up over them". Now that yit’allem is behind us we can start thinking what HA-QODRIYM MINI QARAX means. I don't think it is "They are dark because of ice". I fail to see how HA-QODRIYM can mean "They are dark" and how something can be dark because of ice. I think that reference here is not to water but to the snow capped mountains of East Africa being the source of melt ice water springs.

The context is not East Africa but areas east of Israel where Job lived. The context is the disappearing rivers that flow for part of the year and dry up in other parts, as in Israel (wadis). The verse continues the reasoning of the previous verse. Ice could darken the water as solid masses that cast shadows and block light.
While at it, I also looked up Genesis 2:17 which they translate "but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will surely die". I wish they would leave out this superfluous and outright annoying word "surely".

We've dealt with this topic already.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard