b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Job 6:16, was definite article in Isaiah 7:14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard3 AT earthlink.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Job 6:16, was definite article in Isaiah 7:14
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 17:07:49 -0400

Harold,

Thank you for pointing this translation out to me. I looked it up and Indeed Job 16:6 is translated as "They are dark because of ice; snow is piled up over them". Now that yit’allem is behind us we can start thinking what HA-QODRIYM MINI QARAX means. I don't think it is "They are dark because of ice". I fail to see how HA-QODRIYM can mean "They are dark" and how something can be dark because of ice. I think that reference here is not to water but to the snow capped mountains of East Africa being the source of melt ice water springs.
While at it, I also looked up Genesis 2:17 which they translate "but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will surely die". I wish they would leave out this superfluous and outright annoying word "surely".

Isaac Fried, Boston University