b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Job 6:16, was definite article in Isaiah 7:14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Job 6:16, was definite article in Isaiah 7:14
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 10:43:26 -0400

Karl,

I can just repeat what I said before: There is no, and there can not be, a Hebrew root of the meaning "to be unknown". The hebrew root indicates a material state. The root (LM, as well, as its twin )LM, consist in my opinion of the single-consonat roots [substantives] AL- AM, 'tall-massive'. Thus both (LM and )LM essentially mean 'grow high, pile over'. The borrowed sense of (LM as 'hide, conceal' comes from the idea of 'go under cover' or 'burrow' done with the intent of vanishing from sight, as an animal would do covering itself with sand.
The price you pay for substituting the metaphorical value 'unknown' of (LM for its basic value 'grow up, pile over' is your interpretation of ALUMIM, 'youth', as "the period when girls are still sexually unknown to boys, and boys are still sexually unknown to girls", which I would not even remotely concede.
I am also in grave doubt on the translation of HA-QODRIYM MINI QARAX as "blackish by reason of the ice". Job 6:16-18 describes in my opinion the snow capped mountains of East Africa.

Isaac Fried, Boston University