b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Job 6:16, was definite article in Isaiah 7:14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Tory Thorpe <torythrp AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Job 6:16, was definite article in Isaiah 7:14
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 13:18:51 -0700 (PDT)

I would think "the blackish (stream)" is meant by
HA-QODRIYM. If it is elliptical the form with
the article is probably an archaism, not uncommon
in Biblical Hebrew poetry. I don't think Dalman was
being careful here. He was actually mistaken about
melting
snow/ice creating regular seasonal swelling. The major

flow of the Jordan is in winter, during the heavy
winter
rains (Dec-Feb), not during spring. But his
observation
still holds. Whenever the river swells, from winter
rains
or melting snow/ice, it becomes dark or blackish. And
though I've never seen it, I suppose chunks of ice in
the Jordan is not impossible during winter.

Tory Thorpe