b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Dying, you will die Gen 2:17

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard3 AT earthlink.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Dying, you will die Gen 2:17
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 11:56:18 +0100

On 11/04/2007 03:09, Harold Holmyard wrote:

Is. 56:6-7 And foreigners who bind themselves to the LORD to serve him, to love the name of the LORD, and to worship him, all who keep the Sabbath without desecrating it and who hold fast to my covenant — these I will bring to my holy mountain and give them joy in my house of prayer. Their burnt offerings and sacrifices will be accepted on my altar; for my house will be called a house of prayer for all nations.”

It is interesting that you and Shoshanna agree on the futurity of this passage, at least relative to Isaiah - although I suppose that you take it as fulfilled in Christ although Shoshanna as still future. But the verb forms here (in fact right through vv.4-8) are WEQATAL and YIQTOL. And there is nothing in the context to show clearly that this passage is future rather than timeless present, a general principle that such people, gentiles who come to YHWH, are at all times accepted in his house. It is certainly stretching the exegesis to insist that this principle applies only in the future and not already in Isaiah's time.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org