b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Dying, you will die Gen 2:17

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard3 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Dying, you will die Gen 2:17
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 14:59:08 -0500

Dear David,
* While I agree with your sentiment, Harold, Shoshana apparently understanding Torah is obligated to reject any notion that the Mosaic or any covenant has been replaced. Torah says so itself. The Christian Scholars Group on Christian-Jewish Relations (http://www.bc.edu/research/cjl/meta-elements/sites/partners/csg/Sacred_Obligation.htm) might be of help. Shoshana's theology is entirely correct here.
*

HH: Where does the Torah say this? I went to this website you recommended and found the following:

1. God's covenant with the Jewish people endures forever.

For centuries Christians claimed that their covenant with God replaced or superseded the Jewish covenant. We renounce this claim. We believe that God does not revoke divine promises. We affirm that God is in covenant with both Jews and Christians. Tragically, the entrenched theology of supersessionism continues to influence Christian faith, worship, and practice, even though it has been repudiated by many Christian denominations and many Christians no longer accept it. Our recognition of the abiding validity of Judaism has implications for all aspects of Christian life.

HH: I never said that God did not have a covenant with Israel but at the start affirmed that the Abrahamic covenant was not abrogated. Secondly the Mosaic covenant is a separate covenant from the Abrahamic covenant, and the NT very clearly teaches that the New Covenant takes the place of the Mosaic covenant for Christians. Jeremiah 31:31-33 teaches that even for Israel a new covenant will replace the old covenant, and the context shows that the old covenant is the Mosaic covenant.
*
*Yours,
Harold Holmyard*
*