b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Dying, you will die Gen 2:17

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: davidfentonism AT aim.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Dying, you will die Gen 2:17
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 16:55:48 +0100

On 13/04/2007 15:43, davidfentonism AT aim.com wrote:
Hello Peter:

I must disagree that the word plays work outside of Hebrew (whatever version) and I have been explicity been shown why not which is an explanation beyond my ability to reproduce here except descriptively as I have prior. Even in the Aramaic it is not the same. You can view the Peshitta online (http://www.standardversion.org/index-aesv.php).

I can't speak for Aramaic, but I know that Arabic has all the following words, not sure of all the spellings:

آدم 'âdam = "human being"; "Adam"
آدمة 'âdama(t) = not "ground" but "skin"

حوّا ḥawwâ = "Eve"
حىّ ḥyy = "live"

انسان 'insân = "man"
ناس nâs = "people"
انثى unthay (?) = "woman"

So almost the same word plays work. This implies that they are common at least to West Semitic, although perhaps 'adama has not survived in all languages.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org