b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] how scholars debate controversial issues

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: davidfentonism AT aim.com
  • To: yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] how scholars debate controversial issues
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 23:32:59 -0400

Dear Yitzhak, I would argue that my use of terms like "skeptics" or
"critics" or "naysayers" are appropriate for discussions of scholarship and
are employed. I think "deconstructionist" is likewise apropos because we are
discussing a particular text, albeit the language(s) of that text. To me, the
terms "maximalist" and "minimalists" attempt to measure the degrees to which
"scholars" adhere to or repudiate b-hebrew (i.e., the Bible). I have not
attempted that nor intend to. Moreover, your response, Yitzhak, tries to
portray scholars as some class of b-hebrew examiners that are not relative to
descriptive linguistics (i.e., critics or skeptics or naysayers).
Furthermore, it seems you misconceived my use of those terms as anything but
pejorative --as contrasted to my choir (not yours) which does not always see
eye-to-eye on the text, far from it-- which I do not say about the adherents
to the validity of the entire TN'K. As you know, Midrash has been around for
millennia and has its own expression in xian apologetics and xian
hermeneutics. This list is a form of that in many ways. I am making a
distinction between Midrash and 'scholarly' debate on the topic of b-hebrew.
The difference is this: Midrashim derive from discursive approaches by
divergent sects within biblical and Rabbinical Judaism. They are all
believers in the divine inspiration of the text. By contrast, "scholars" use
their own discursive approach which is (as I said before) incompetent to
apprehend the text itself beyond the agency of their method. Why?
Skeptics/critics lack the premise which is the key to a successful midrash
and that is the unequivocal acceptance that Torah (i.e., all of G-d's
revealed Word) is eternal and is inspired by Hashem's Holy Spirit; that He
wrote it and men were used as pens to record His Word; that Torah is the
charter of all creation which pre-existed all creation and that all creation
came to be to give physical expression to Torah. (The Greek point of view
that the Bible is subject to examination at the same interpretive levels as
offered by PaRDeS is spurious.) The above is evidenced by your description,
which you find relevant, of the variety of scholarly backgrounds and
agreement or disagreements here or there and so on. That is classic Greek
thought. I am not disparaging that but attempting to explain a bit better
what I meant by an unbridgeable gulf between the believer of b-hebrew/Bible
and the scholar/examiner of the same. Thus, the value of the Greek approach
is sorely lacking for the believer and it has nothing at all to do with
acceptance of the same positions as the choir. For the choir, understanding
derives from the Author of the Bible but the scholar relies on his/her own
intellectual resources to apprehend G-d's revealed word. Thus, besides
illustrating this gulf, that you misread my appropriation of your "choir"
metaphor from your original pejorative intent to my transforming it into a
reference for the peculiar people of Y--H shows much of what I have been
saying about the way scholars see b-hebrew vs. how believers see b-hebrew.
Your choir label also is in line with my presupposition that skeptics and
critics attack rather than add value to the Midrash of the community of
believers who do not see eye-to-eye on the Book either. As Peter very aptly
pointed out, your condescending or snide and incompetent (textually speaking)
analogy is evidence of this attack-mode scholars have of engaging believers
who accept the b-hebrew and the multiple meanings a single word, phrase or
passage can render based on the quixotic notion their "voices" (far from
silenced by the way) have anything meaningful to add to the midrash. In the
mind of the believer, an analogy of the difference here is comparable to life
and death. You will notice much of what I have said here is in keeping with
what Scripture teaches as well. The believer defers to Scripture which needs
no defense but the scholar defers to human reason which changes all the time
across time.

My regards,
David Fenton
Gal. 27-29: For as many as have had a tevilah into Moshiach have clothed
yourselves with Moshiach. There is not Yehudi nor Yevani (Greek), there is
not eved (servant) nor ben chorin (freedman), there is not zachar (male) nor
nekevah (female), for you are all echad in Moshiach Yehoshua/Yeshua. And, if
you belong to Moshiach (YESHAYAH 53:10), then you are of the ZERAH of Avraham
Avinu, you are yoreshim (heirs) according to the havtachah (promise).