b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] how scholars debate controversial issues

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] how scholars debate controversial issues
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 23:12:58 +0100

On 26/03/2007 17:15, Yitzhak Sapir wrote:
Dear All, ...

It seems to me that "minimalist" and "maximalist" must refer respectively to people who hold a minimum or a maximum amount of the Bible to be historically true. So presumably a true minimalist finds nothing of historical value in the Bible, whereas a true maximalist must accept it all as literally true, even down to the six day creation 6000 or so years ago. Any position between these two, in my opinion, cannot properly be described as either "minimalist" or "maximalist", and if these terms are used this is probably a matter of rhetorical and probably pejorative exaggeration. So it probably isn't very helpful to use these terms on this list.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org