b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Nun-Tav-Vet root

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Nun-Tav-Vet root
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 17:05:25 -0500

The root נתב (NTB) is but a variant of the root נצב (NTZAB), 'erect.' The spatial sense of this extension is not revealed to us by the conciseness of the tri-literal root. In fact, the extension of נתיב is at once upward, widthwise, and lengthwise. מעגל=מה +עגל is a variant of גל, 'wave, mound'. The root עגל (AGL) appears also in the form עקל (AKL), with גל=קל.
Isaac Fried