b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Nun-Tav-Vet root

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Nun-Tav-Vet root
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 00:42:52 -0800

Isaac:

On 11/20/06, Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu> wrote:
I am sorry that I have to put it so blatantly, but I am afraid that you are
living in a fundamental misunderstanding about the innate nature of the
Hebrew language.
---Isaac Fried

OK, I'll take the bait.

On what basis do you make the claim that נתיבה stems from נצב? Do you
have written records showing the development of נתיבה from נצב within
the Hebrew language, and where are they? Which chapter and verse is
such evidence found in Tamakh? Or is your claim based on that
mythological entity known as "proto-Semitic" for which there is no
surviving record to be found, along with looking at cognate languages
while discounting the actual uses in Biblical Hebrew found in Tanakh?

I count 25 times נתיב and נתיבה are used in Tanakh, and not once is
there any sign that נצב could have been the root. There are well over
100 uses of נצב and its immediate derivatives in Tanakh, which one of
those indicate a traveling from place to place? I look for actual uses
in Tanakh, not some speculation based on disputable theories.