b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Nun-Tav-Vet root

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Isaac Fried" <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Nun-Tav-Vet root
  • Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 18:45:47 -0500

_____

From: Isaac Fried [mailto:if AT math.bu.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, November 22, 2006 4:11 PM
To: Isaac Fried
I am not responding to you directly; it is as I say to my students: when I
say you I do not mean YOU. Yet it should be pedagogically and psychologically
interesting to see how the mind of a hyperactive dilettante works,
particularly when emotionally driven. So let us see what you pile on us:

YS: You appear to be a university professor!

IF: I am a university professor, and I know it even without your exclamation
mark.

YS: You are expected to know how theories are proposed.

IF: I know, I know. I think I know.

YS: You have easy access to a university library

IF: The access is not so easy, I have to cross a busy street.

YS: where you can probably read all you want about the linguistic method, and
about various cognate languages, as well as modern studies of the ancient
pronounciation (?) of different words.

IF: We are not dealing here with probabilities. There is one thing I beg of
you: please don’t tell it to the dean: “ Prof. Fried is not frequenting the
library as often as he should, and when he goes there once in a blue moon he
does not open the Cambridge Encyclopedia to read on cognate languages, but
flirts instead with the librarian Miss Gudie Lookin.” This is a wrong and
vicious rumor! What we actually do in this dark recess of the library is chat
about the reconstructed pronunciation of ancient Yebusite.

YS: In an earlier post, I asked you to explain the following sentence of
yours: In fact, the extension of נתיב is at once upward, widthwise, and
lengthwise.

IF: That’s true, but you did not wait for my answer. Why not? Because you
were in a great hurry to expose the crackpotedness of Prof. Fried’s theories.

YS: I picked this one because it appeared that you were referring to the
shape of the letters, in which case (if this is indeed what you are talking
about), I was going to confront you with how the alphabet developed and the
way the letters looked like in ancient times, and also in other languages
such as Ugaritic which had a very different alphabet but both roots.

IF: The shape of the letters!?!? I am afraid you have wandered into some
go-go land. Where did you get this silly idea? I know how the letters looked
like in ancient times; I have a special telescope with which to look into the
past.

YS: If this is not about the shape of letters, I admit that I have no idea
what you're talking about.

IF: Hurray! Hurray! Bravo! You admit it! It comes from your own mouth! You
indeed have no idea about what I am talking about, but admission of ignorance
is the first step (and how important it is!) to enlightenment. There is hope!

YS: This is not to say that you can't come to this list and write nonsense
(?). Just expect it to be properly discredited if it is a crackpot theory
like yours Is

IF: Thanks for welcoming me to this list. I am well aware of the grave risk I
am taking in being exposed and rebuked by big boys like you.

YS: What has this to do with the word [nɔ:'ti:v]?

IF: Do you really want to know, or is it just a rhetorical question?

YS: This word is not found in the Hebrew Bible. It is a modern form that is
constructed based on the word as it appears in the Hebrew Bible. We are
talking here about the Hebrew Bible.

IF: Not a word but a Biblical root.

YS: If you do happen to open the Cambridge Encyclopedia of the World's Ancient

Languages, please also read the articles on Hebrew, Aramaic, North Arabian,

South Arabian, Ugaritic, Phoenician, the Canaanite dialects, and

Afroasiatic.

IF: I will! I promise! As soon as I am done with Miss Gudie Lookin.

I know that my book: “The Analytic and Synthetic Etymology of the Hebrew
Language” is one of the most significant books ever written on the Hebrew
language. The theory behind it is very simple, as a good theory should be,
but it is profound in its implications; it actually solves the enigma of the
Hebrew language. I suggest that you drop for a while your preoccupation with
“cognate languages” and concentrate on this book instead. The effort is
worthwhile, and if you understand it, then I promise you the kingdom of
language.