b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Proverbs 3:21- Sound Wisdom?????

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Chris and Nel" <wattswestmaas AT eircom.net>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 3:21- Sound Wisdom?????
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 22:16:15 -0000

Hallo members of the board, how are you?

Proverbs 3:21: TooSHiYaH -my goodness what a word!!

The translation "Sound Wisdom" falls into my category as Redundant Tautological nonsense! It is a bit like the news reporters when they continually refer to an investigation as a: Massive Manhunt', is there such a thing as a small manhunt? What about that irritating sign on the roads: Major Roadworks"? Have you ever seen 'Minor Roadworks'? So this translation can not be :'SOUND wisdom' I am looking for the concept behind this word, I can not really come up with anything solid. I have various 'ideas' as to the meaning of this word within its context of Prov 3:21 from the lexicon and shoshan but I am all over the place from meanings like: sound deliberation, thoughtful design, upright and true design/counsel/deliberation????

I know that it is a noun formed by the addition of a Tav prefix and a Heh affix signifying feminine. I took this away and was left with Shin and Yod. Only to find that the yod was also not part of the root either (and as if this was'nt irritating enough), so glad they left the shin in place - that was nice of them, was'nt it?????????

But I really would appreciate the boards' involvement specifically because I do not understand where the Yod comes from that is at the end of this word; being that it is a word from the root Yod-Shin-Heh? And does the dagesh in the yod stand for the missing Heh?

Thanking you
Chris
Ireland.