b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] We and us

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: sujata <shevaroys AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] We and us
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 10:05:34 -0800 (PST)

Doesn't the Royal WE take on a similar role? Some languages of India do use
"we" instead of I in classical poetry when for example a king refers to
himself. He might say "We met X" instead of I met X.

Does Hebrew differentiate between inclusive and exclusive We. E.g., is
there a different pronoun for We (including the hearer) and We (excluding the
hearer)?

Best,
Sujata

Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org> wrote:
On 14/11/2006 17:36, Uri Hurwitz wrote:
> Peter kirk wrote, in part:
>

>> ..."in English there is no politeness distinction in second person
>>
> pronouns, "...
>
> Wasn't there a clear social distinction between 'thou' and 'you' in the
> past, a distinction clearly retained in current German between 'Du'
> and 'Sie' ?

Yes, in the past, but not since the 17th century. Note that I wrote
"there is", not "there was". "Thou" is still in use in a few dialects,
but not I think with a consistent politeness related distinction.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org

---------------------------------
Check out the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta - Fire up a more powerful email and
get things done faster.
From: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
To: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 20:19:55 +0200
Cc: greifer AT hotmail.com
Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:11

Is53 takes on deliberately archaic speech with some turns modeled directly
upon Job. The turn in Is53:11 is an archaism.
Here is wordplay: righteous is also someone acquitted in court. Having
repented, the man would have been acquitted by court and thus justified
himself before a multitude of Jews, proving himself righteous.

http://vadimcherny.org/judaism/isaiah53.htm

Vadim Cherny

> First of all, looking at the context, the whole chapter was talking
> about "my slave" עבדי which would make us predisposed to read the word
> in this verse as referring to the person and not to an action.
> Further, if it refered to an action, the action would tend to have
> been a feminine, not masculine, noun.
>
> While an adjective usually followed the noun it modified, this is an
> example of one that preceded it. I think there are other examples, but
> I can't remember any off the top of my head. The verb is third person
> masculine singular, which argues against it being either "my service"
> or "justness", leaving us with the non-standard "my just slave" with
> the adjective preceding the noun.
>
> I'm just thinking out loud. Wouldn't mind further comment.
>
> Karl W. Randolph.
>
> On 11/12/06, kenneth greifer <greifer AT hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I am just curious. Is "My righteous servant" grammatically right in
Isaiah