b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] We and us

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "David Kummerow" <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] We and us
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 22:50:20 -0800

Dear David, Bryan, etc.

At the risk of being too simple, could it be that some of the phenomena that
is being seen with "ani, anoki, etc." is due to the 430 years in Goshen,
then 40 years in the desert? True, there are some Egyptian loan-words, but
the Egyptians, as indicated by Moses in Genesis that the Egyptians would
have nothing to do with sheepherders; therefore, the descendants of
Israel/Jacob were placed in Goshen.

Again, 470 years, even with servitude, still is long time for some facets of
a language to remain static. I wonder if we are dismissing the period in
Egypt too readily? What say ye, or should I say you?

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III