b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] We and us

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] We and us
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 08:30:28 +1100

Dear Bryan,

See me earlier response to Peter. I take it that Peter's point does not invalidate my questioning of the supposed link between politeness and the two BH first-person independent pronouns. That English "your humble servant" HASN'T grammaticalised into a first-person pronoun could even be taken in support of my claims. Why hasn't it grammaticalised? The answer from typological research is that English would need polite second- and third-person pronouns before such a grammaticalisation could occur (again, see Helmbrecht's work).

This is the same with 'adoni hammelek substituting for 'attah. The phrase is hardly a polite pronoun. Sure, the phrase functions to express politeness, but I don't think it is a grammaticalised polite pronoun; it is still a noun phrase.

Regards,
David Kummerow.

B-Haverim,

Peter makes a good point. In addition, we may take note of third person being substituted for second in BH (and English?), as in 'adoni hammelek substituting for 'attah.

Shalom,
Bryan

Peter Kirk wrote:

>/ />/ Later, David wrote:
/>>/ ... Helmbrecht demonstrates that the />>/ grammaticalisation of politeness distinctions in the first-person is />>/ from a number of options: nouns denoting "servant" and "slave" etc />>/ (Japanese, Thai, Burmese, Vietnamese, Turkish); ...
/>/ />/ If the use of nouns denoting "servant" and "slave" for the first person />/ counts here, then certain registers of English must be considered an />/ exception to Helmbrecht's rule and so potentially similar to Hebrew. For />/ in English there is no politeness distinction in second person pronouns, />/ but in some registers "your humble servant" is used consistently as a />/ politeness related substitute for "I". And in fact precisely the same />/ happens in the Turkic language into which I am working on Bible />/ translation; in the register the translators have chosen to use, second />/ person polite forms are not used (as not appropriate in a historical />/ context, for they are known to be a recent innovation), but a form "your />/ slave" similar to the now obsolete Turkish usage is sometimes used in />/ this translation, especially where the Hebrew offers some support. But />/ then that implies that Hebrew is an exception to Helmbrecht's rule for />/ sometimes using `ABDEKA as a first person form, quite apart from 'ANI />/ and 'ANOKI.
/>/ /
--
B. M. Rocine
Living Word Church