b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] We and us

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • To: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] We and us
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 11:09:33 +1100

Hi Peter,

What about "siz"? Isn't this a second-person plural pronoun which is used for polite second-person singular address? If so, Turkish has a politeness distinction in the second person while also using "bendeniz" as a polite first-person pronoun (bendeniz is etymologically related to Persian "banda" (slave) + -niz (2pl possessive)). I don't know about a third person polite pronoun, and, in the absence of this, the hierarchy could be questioned and perhaps modified to: 2 < 3/1 or possibly 2 < 1/3. Sure, Hebrew can count and is entitled to count. But is `abdeka in Hebrew as grammaticalised as "bendeniz" in Turkish? Is "your servant" in Hebrew as grammaticalised as "siz" in Turkish? Answers to these questions will help to decide how Hebrew speaks to the posited politeness hierarchy. Further, I have yet to see anyone try to derive 'anoki from a lexical word denoting "slave" or something similar (or any other known source of polite pronouns for that matter), which is needed for the form to grammaticalise into a polite pronoun. (Blake I think was had a stab at relating 'anoki from a demonstative, but he did the same for 'ani.)

I take it that Helmbrecht judges "bendeniz" to be a polite first-person pronoun because his grammatical sources judge it to be such. Further confirmation for him would be from the fact that Turkish also has a polite second-person pronoun, so conforming to the evidence of other known languages. "Bendeniz" may still be judged by some speakers to be a noun phrase, so its status as a polite first-person pronoun may be considered marginal and not be wholly grammaticalised (as with Hebrew, perhaps).

Regarding the status of English "your humble servant", I think the burden is on you to prove that it is a pronoun as you are raising it as proof that it is and so challenges Helmbrecht's politeness hierarchy. You only say that it is used in "some registers of English". Which ones? Are these speakers native to English? Are any not, and if so, does their native language encode politeness distinctions in pronouns? Personally, I am unable to recall hearing anyone use the phrase "your humble servant" as a noun phrase even, let alone hearing speakers using this as a grammaticalised polite pronoun. The burden rests with you, I think. In answer to your question, though, I take it that the reason why we know that "your humble servant" isn't a grammaticalised polite pronoun is simply that it does not have this grammaticalised function. It is a noun phrase that is can be used to denote politeness, but personally I have never heard it even uttered. As such, it can hardly be taken to be a grammaticalised first-person polite pronoun---or even one on the way of grammaticalisation. The typological evidence does not in itself decide the matter (English itself must do so on its own terms), but it does provide a possible reason why the phrase isn't grammaticalising. English has lost its politeness distinction in the second-person. This is the region of language where politeness distinctions is most prominent, but this has been lost in English. Because this has been lost, much of the motivation lying behind the grammaticalisation of a polite first-person pronoun is lost, such that noun phrases like "your humble servant" are rarely even used let alone grammaticalising.

Regards,
David Kummerow.