b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:11

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:11
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 16:14:01 -0800

Kenneth:

First of all, looking at the context, the whole chapter was talking
about "my slave" עבדי which would make us predisposed to read the word
in this verse as referring to the person and not to an action.
Further, if it refered to an action, the action would tend to have
been a feminine, not masculine, noun.

While an adjective usually followed the noun it modified, this is an
example of one that preceded it. I think there are other examples, but
I can't remember any off the top of my head. The verb is third person
masculine singular, which argues against it being either "my service"
or "justness", leaving us with the non-standard "my just slave" with
the adjective preceding the noun.

I'm just thinking out loud. Wouldn't mind further comment.

Karl W. Randolph.