b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] a Hebrew / Egyptian translation question

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Brian Roberts <formoria AT carolina.rr.com>
  • To: Vadim Cherny <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] a Hebrew / Egyptian translation question
  • Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 13:31:15 -0400

Dear listmembers:

I was conversing with a gentleman on another forum, and he suggested to me that several Hebrew toponyms and names of people were represented in Egyptian.

For example, the following he suggested were translated "the same" or had "the same" meaning.

The Hebrew word for "Zion" is interchangeable with the Egyptian word for "Zoan"
The same for "Jebus" (as in Jebusite) with Egyptian Jebet
Hebrew "Duad" he equates with Egyptian "Pa-Djuat-Kha-ennuit (Psusennes)
Hebrew "Joab" (David's general) with Egyptian "Un-tchoab-endjed"
Hebrew "Tamar" with Egyptian "Maakhare Mutamhat"
Hebrew "Salmon" with Egyptian "Siamun"
Hebrew "Boaz" with Egyptian "Buas-orkon"
Hebrew "Obed" with Egyptian "Amenem-opet"

I am no Hebrew expert. This gentleman purports to be, and I am presenting these questions to you because I'm sure someone here has the Hebrew and Egyptian skill to offer some insight.

Best Salaams,

R. Brian Roberts
Amateur Researcher in Biblical Archaeology