b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 22:16 - daqar as pierced ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: sujata <shevaroys AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 22:16 - daqar as pierced ?
  • Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 23:36:07 +0100

On 01/10/2006 19:01, sujata wrote:
Peter,
Thank you. Is there any other example of such usage of the word "dig/dug"
in Hebrew?
Thanks,
Sujata

Maybe not. But this is where I disagreed with Karl: some words are used in unique senses in the Hebrew Bible. According to BDB, the verb KRH is used in the Hebrew Bible 13 times in the sense "dig", 4 times in the sense "get by trade", and once in the sense "give a feast". Now I would understand Karl's scepticism about this last example, 2 Kings 6:23, but BDB (which is of course century old scholarship) supports this sense from an Akkadian parallel. But this total of 18 examples of KRH is not sufficient to explore the entire semantic range of the verb. There may well be sub-senses, like my suggestion "maul", which would not be included, or included only once, in a sample this size of uses of a word.

As a parallel to this, I note that the first 40 or so occurrences of the word "bear" in the TNIV Bible (http://www.tniv.info/bible/passagesearch.php) are all derived from the verb with a meaning similar to "carry". By the kind of argument which Karl is putting forward, in 1 Samuel 17:34 the word "bear" in the English translation must be understood as derived from the same verb and nothing to do with a ferocious wild animal.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org