b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 22:16 - daqar as pierced ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Moshe Shulman <mshulman AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 22:16 - daqar as pierced ?
  • Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 10:10:56 -0400

At 01:11 AM 9/30/2006, you wrote:
Moshe:
In looking at the photograph that Yitzhak Sapir unearthed (he's really
good at finding information on the web) I have to disagree with you.
Looking both at the enhanced line, and at the recognizable yods and
waws on the rest of the scrap, that is clearly a waw, not a yod. Other
waws have that little hat that you mention.
I was surprised how much the image can be magnified without pixellating.

I am still quite busy but I wanted to get this off for Karl to give him some food for thought.

OK look better. :) Compare the vov (yud) with the yod in the word m'reiyim (which is also elongated). Both are similar with a similar sharp down point to the left on top. This is commonly found in yods. The vov in the previous word has a top but it does not have the sharp down point. My vote is still that this yud is like the one two words earlier. Personally I think this scribe gets a C- for handwriting. :)

Moshe Shulman outreach AT judaismsanswer.com 718-436-7705
Judaism's Answer: http://www.judaismsanswer.com/