b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] actual Hebrew question about Daniel 9:25

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>, "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] actual Hebrew question about Daniel 9:25
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 19:12:15 -0700

Dear Karl,

1. Artaxerxes II should be the King of Persia not the IV - I fat fingered
it (my typo).

2. According to Nehemiah 8:1, Ezra was with Nehemiah, this would place
the date, at least 446-445 BCE.

3. If one looks at the completion of the 2nd Temple in March, 515 BCE
(6th year of Darius - Ezra 6:15), then the 2nd Return of Jews to Judah was
58 years after on the first day of the fifth month, 457 BCE. See Ezra 7:9;
8:31.

4. Nehemiah was governor of Judah for two terms.
a. The first term last 12 years from the 20th to the 32nd year
of Artaxerxes II, 445 (444) - 433 (432) BCE. See 1:1; 13:6.
b. The second term was after he had returned to the Persian
court in accordance with the agreement of Neh. 2:6.
Evidently he was not happy about returning to the Persian
court and was granted permission to return to Judah.
Neither time nor circumstances are indicated for the
return.
c. The length of the final term is not listed nor when he died,
but we do know that an Elephatine papyrus, ca 407 BCE, indicates
that Bagoas is governor of Judah.
5. There were 3 Persian edicts relating to the return of the
Jews to Jerusalem, 538/537 BCE, 458/457 BCE, and 445/444
BCE.

6. The 49 years (seven weeks) most likely refers to the activity
of the rebuilding of Jersualem during the 15th year of the
Persian ruler, Darius Nothus (423-404 BCE), which is 409 BCE.,
who is mentioned by Prideaux, see also Josephus, Antiq.XI, 5, 8.

7. Thus, the 62 weeks would finish about 26 AD.

8. Some NT scholars, Sir Robert Anderson for instance, would
place the terminus a quo at March, 445 BCE to April, 32 AD (exactly
173,880 days or 483 prophetic years (assuming 360 day year = 42
months = 1260 days).

9. Most NT scholars go with the solar calendar and have the
26 AD date.