b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 22 Translation Help

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 22 Translation Help
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 22:49:07 -0400

> From: JBarach AT aol.com Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 7:45 PM
>
> Could you provide a bit more info please? I have both the Vermes and the
> Wise, Abegg, et al. translations of the DSS if it helps to point me to a
> passage.

[Steve Miller] Wise, Abegg & Cook, I have found to be useless. It seems to
be a translation of the non-Biblical portions of DSS only. I am not familiar
with Vermes, but if it translates Psalm 22, it should have a note on it.

> The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible, by Abegg, Flint & Ulrich says on page 519
> regarding Ps 22:16: 'Among the scrolls the reading in question is found
> only in the Psalms scroll found at Nahal Hever (abbreviated 5/6HevPs),
> which reads "They have pierced my hands and my feet"!'

Actually there are not 1, but 2 witnesses to Psalm 22:16 in DSS. This is
amazing, if you consider how little there is of the Bible in DSS outside of
Isaiah and Habakkuk.

Also the Hebrew word (and the Greek in LXX) literally means "digged", they
digged my hands and my feet. That is worse than piercing. They dug holes in
his hands and feet.

Below are some b-hebrew postings on it from 2005 that I had saved:
On Sunday 24 April 2005 16:13, Walter R. Mattfeld wrote:
> I have a question of scholars on this list versed in Hebrew, is the
> following information correct or incorrect, or "in dispute" as to meaning
> regarding the word karu or ka'ari ?
>
> Cf. the below quoted statement:
>
> "On Psalm 22:16 "they pierced my hands and my feet" (King James Version),
> Christians here found a famous example of an explicit prefiguration of
> Jesus's sufferings. In the Gospel story, the Romans pierce his hands and
> feet with nails in preparation for his being hung upon the cross.
Nitzachon
> Vetus answered that the word given in the Latin translation as "they
> pierced" is written in the Hebrew original not as karu ("they pierced"),
> but as ka'ari ("like a lion"). The entire verse is properly translated,
> "For dogs have surrounded me; a pack of evildoers has enclosed me, like a
> lion [at] my hands and my feet." In biblical poetry, such as in the book
of
> Psalms, the second half of a verse typically echoes the first. With this
in
> mind, we should expect the imagery of being torn by wild beasts to be
> consistent from phrase to phrase -and it is. A modern update of the King
> James Bible, the Revised Standard Version, now includes a footnote
> acknowledging the more authentic translation of the verse." (p. 168. David
> Klinghoffer. Why The Jews Rejected Jesus. New York. Doubleday. 2005. ISBN
> 0-385-51021-7)

I'd have to say it's "in dispute." The biggest problem, as the translation
above subtly notes, is the lack of a solid relationship between "like a
lion"
and "hands and feet." The author had to supply "at" in order to make sense
of the clause, because "like a lion my hands and feet" is nonsense. LXX
reads "they pierced". 4QPs(f) includes the verse (see DJD 16 p. 88). It's
in pretty bad shape at this point, but based on line lengths and such it
appears to read KR[W], i.e. according to the editors there doesn't seem to
have been room for the aleph so it most likely read "pierced." One could
wonder whether the "like a lion" reading might have arisen in reaction to
Christian use of the verse?

Oh yes, the description of how biblical poetry works is quite simplistic and

only tells part of the story......

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur

[b-hebrew] karu or ka'ari (Ps 22:16) MarjorieAlley at cs.com
Tue Apr 26 11:20:03 EDT 2005
Steve Miller wrote: >>>So it appears that there are actually 2 witnesses to

Ps 22:16 in DSS: One without the middle Alef and one with, but both with a
final W instead of Y.<<<

Steve, I don't believe that's quite correct.

I took another look at both DJD volumes yesterday.

5/6HevPs is published in DJD 38. Even though the plate is very faint, the
waw
is visible in Ps. 22:17. The transcription of the letters shows no dot or
circule over the letters, meaning editors regarded the reading as "certain"
rather than "probable" or "possible".

4QPs(f), published in DJD 16 is another story. The plate of fragment 1 shows

some ink marks which might represent the top of a kap and resh, but it is
impossible to say for sure from the plate. I looked with a magnifying glass,
and I
just can't see it well enough. The editors have marked their transcription
at this point with a circule over the letters, indicating these letters are
"possible". But note that they read only a possible kap and possible resh.

Fragment 1 breaks off just at the point where there would be a waw or yod
... how
frustrating!

You are correct that they read no middle 'alef, just a possible kap followed

immediately by a possible resh. But note that they do NOT read a waw. The
fragment breaks off after the possible resh, and they supply the waw as a
conjectured restoration.

The editors note in the introduction that in making their tarnscriptions
they
refer to the original mss, to the photos which are published as the official

plates, AND to older photos. They comment that in some instances the older
photos are helpful where edges of fragments have since suffered further
deterioration. I wonder if that is what happened in this instance?

Regards,
Marjorie Alley