b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 22 Translation Help

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 22 Translation Help
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 19:15:55 -0500

Dear John,

HH: There is now suppport from the Dead Sea Scrolls for the variant reading: "they pierced my hands and my feet."

Could you provide a bit more info please? I have both the Vermes and the Wise, Abegg, et al. translations of the DSS if it helps to point me to a passage.

HH: See the June 2005 Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society and the article "Piercing the Ambiguities of Psalm 22:16 and the Messiah's Mission," by Conrad R. Glen (pp. 283-99). You may have to wait a year, and then you can access it online:

http://www.etsjets.org/jets/journal/jets.html

HH; Specifically, the scroll is the 5/6Hev Psalms Scroll, one of the Nahal Hever texts. It dates to A.D. 50-68. The text is in a Herodian bookhand and has very few variant readings against the Leningrad Codex. It was not examined by scholars until the mid-1990's.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard