b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 22 Translation Help

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: MarjorieAlley AT cs.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, JBarach AT aol.com
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 22 Translation Help
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 22:49:08 EDT

> HH: There is now suppprt from the Dead Sea Scrolls for the variant
> reading: "they pierced my hands and my feet."

John Barach: >>> Could you provide a bit more info please? I have both the
Vermes and the Wise, Abegg, et al. translations of the DSS if it helps to
point me to a
passage. <<<

John ---

Here are some references.

1. James Charlesworth et al., _Miscellaneous Texts from the Judean Desert.
Discoveries in the Judean Desert XXXVIII._ Oxford University Press: 2000.

This is volume 38 of the official series of DeadSea Scrolls published for
scholars by Oxford University Press. DJD 38 has a transcription of 5/6
HevPsalms
as well as a photograph plate.

The notes to the transcription of 22:17 [K'RW] state:
"the letters waw and yod are clearly distinguishable in this hand"
and "this important variant reading is assured."

2. Peter W. Flint. "The preliminary edition of 5/6HevPsalms." Journal of
Jewish Studies, vol. 51 no 1. Spring 2000, p 19-41. Published by The Oxford
Centre
for Hebrew and Jewish Studies. JJS 51 has a printed transcription of the
Hebrew text as well as photographic plates of the actual manuscript.

3. Peter W. Flint, _The Dead Sea Psalms Scrolls and the Book of Psalms._
Brill:1997, p.83.

4. James VanderKam, Peter Flint, _The Meaning of the Dead Sea Scrolls_,
Harper, 2002. Especially see "The Original Reading of Psalm 22:16" on pp.
124-125.
This book, written by two DSS scholars for an educated popular audience is
probably the most readily available of the references I have listed here. I
bought my copy four years ago at Borders.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Marjorie Alley