b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel
  • Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 22:02:08 -0500

Dear Harold:

From my sources (Artscroll, Judaica Press, Rashi, etc.)

The beginning of Achashverosh's reign was 3393.

Achashverosh was the successor to Cyrus, toward the end of the 70 years of the Babylonian Exile (4 Century BCE) - Rashi.

Ibn Ezra also says that Achashverosh reigned after Cyrus during the time of the Second Temple, but the Temple was still not built during his reign, as is related in the book of Ezra (4:6). Ibn Ezra identifies Achashverosh with Artaxerxes, during whose reign the construction of the Temple was suspended. This follows the view of the Sages, that this Achashverosh was the second monarch over the united Persian Empire (ie; from the time that Persia united with Media, which is from the death of Darius the Mede, who also reigned over the Babylonian Empire). According to them, the first king was Cyrus, who sanctioned the rebuilding of the Second Temple, and he was succeeded by this Achashverosh, who suspended its construction.

Ibn Ezra also conjectures that there was another Achashverosh among the ancient kings of Persia who also reigned over Persia and Media. However, he did not reign over other countries as did Achashverosh II, the main character of the Book of Esther. Therefore Scripture states: He was the Achashverosh who reigned, etc., one hundred twenty-seven provinces.

The dates I have are from the creation of the world, year 1. We are now in the year 5766, so you can subtract.

Dear Shoshanna,

The dates I have are from the creation of the world:

Nevuchadnezar led the Jews into exile in three stages over an 18 year
period (3320, 3327, 3338). Among the exiles were Ezekiel, Daniel,
Mordechai.

In 3390 Cyrus granted the Jews permission to return to Israel and
re-establish the Temple.

Esther was chosen queen in 3400. During Pesach 3404 she appeared
before the king to plead to nullify Haman's decree. On 13-14 Adar,
3405, the miracle became a reality.

In 3407 Achashverosh was succeeded by his son, Darius II. In 3408,
Darius authorized the completion of the second temple. It was
completed in 3412.

I meant to say that Mordechai was already an old man during the
events of Purim.

HH: Here is material from an article on Mordecai in the International
Standard Bible Encyclopedia:

The date of the story [of Esther] hinges on the identification of
Ahasuerus, since no other person mentioned is known from extrabiblical
documents. Few today doubt that Ahasuerus is to be identified with
Xerxes I, 486-465 B.C., although the matter is complicated somewhat by
the consistent LXX rendering Artaxerxes. A fact favoring the
identification with Xerxes I is that his Greek campaign can explain the
chronological gap of four years between 1:3 and 2:16.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard