b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel
  • Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 16:36:40 -0500

Dear Shoshanna,

Harold I am getting tired of all this - and it's only Monday.

HH: If you are too tired to participate on this discussion list, then take a rest.

It doesn't matter (to me) that the first Christians were Jews if they either misunderstood Torah, or didn't learn it, or started making up their own beliefs, nor if you quote sources that are not Torah.

HH: You go to outside sources called the Talmud. They are later and Pharisaic sources. You incorrectly try to identify them with the God's word itself. You expect me to pay attention to what you say. You represent a particular Jewish tradition, the Pharisaic one. Other Jewish points of view existed in the ancient world such as the Christian, Essene, and Sadducee viewpoints. Ancient Jewish religious literature indicates these points of view.

There is not one example in the Jewish scriptures where any angel, Satan included, opposes God's will, nor of a fiction named Mastema, who allegedly induced God to test Abraham through the sacrifice of Isaac.

HH: Yes, Satan does oppose God's interests in the Tanakh. The very way Satan talks in Job is insulting to God. The Lord is not in favor of murder, but that is what Satan inspires to torment Job:

Job 1:13 One day when Job’s sons and daughters were feasting and drinking wine at the oldest brother’s house,
Job 1:14 a messenger came to Job and said, “The oxen were plowing and the donkeys were grazing nearby,
Job 1:15 and the Sabeans attacked and carried them off. They put the servants to the sword, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!”

Yours,
Harold Holmyard