b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] MICHAEL Re: Sanhedrin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Michael Abernathy <mabernathy714 AT comcast.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] MICHAEL Re: Sanhedrin
  • Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 23:11:40 -0400

Shoshanna Walker wrote:
No, this passage is to teach us that Yehoshafat included priests and Levites into the court system - not that the court system had ceased to exist.
I can understand how your assumptions require that interpretation. However, I cannot say that
either the text or context do much to confirm it.
Re your question would the Sanhedrin have made decisions on those prophets who were living in other nations? What prophets did not BEGIN their ministries IN Israel?
Aside from Abraham, Aaron, and Miriam, we could mention Balaam.
But I specifically mentioned the divided kingdom. Do you believe
that the prophets of Israel started their ministries in Judah
and gained approval from the Sanhedrin before preaching in Israel? Or did the
Sanhedrin confirm their prophetic ministries after the fact?

The record of how the tradition was handed down, is in the beginning of Pirkei Avot.
Unless you tell me otherwise, I will assume that you mean by this that the authenticity of the
oral tradition is a matter of faith not verifiable in any objective manner. That's totally acceptable.
But it does make it difficult for those who do not share your faith to impartially compare those traditions with
opposing traditions.
Sincerely,
Michael Abernathy