b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel
  • Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 19:56:49 -0500

The dates I have are from the creation of the world:

Nevuchadnezar led the Jews into exile in three stages over an 18 year period (3320, 3327, 3338). Among the exiles were Ezekiel, Daniel, Mordechai.

In 3390 Cyrus granted the Jews permission to return to Israel and re-establish the Temple.

Esther was chosen queen in 3400. During Pesach 3404 she appeared before the king to plead to nullify Haman's decree. On 13-14 Adar, 3405, the miracle became a reality.

In 3407 Achashverosh was succeeded by his son, Darius II. In 3408, Darius authorized the completion of the second temple. It was completed in 3412.

I meant to say that Mordechai was already an old man during the events of Purim.

Shoshanna

He was already an old man at the time of these events.

Are we talking about the same Mordecai who appears in the book of Esther? If he was already an old man at the time of the final exile of Nebuchadnezzar, c. 586 BCE, then he certainly was by the time of the events recorded in Esther, c. 474 BCE.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org