b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Numbers 22:22 - S+N a verb or noun?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Joel Stucki" <joel AT stucki.ws>
  • To: "Shoshanna Walker" <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Numbers 22:22 - S+N a verb or noun?
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 21:25:18 -0700

On 7/9/06, Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net> wrote:
I'm sorry, I don't understand, or forgot from high school, the
terminology of linguists.

Revowel what? I can't change Torah or revowel it.
well there you are stuck with a noun. I am saying these vowels do not
make an infinitive. You could reject the Masoretic voweling without
changing the consonantal text to read it as an infinitive but you
cannot read these vowels as an inifnitive. Since the vowels are a very
late addition to the text changing them does not generally offend even
conservative view points but if you believe even the vowels cannot be
changed then you are stuck with a noun. For an infinitive you would
need a hireq shwa holem vowel pattern. The shwa qamtez qametz cannot
be an infinitive. If you know an example that contradicts this please
let me know. I am happy to recant if there really are examples of this
verb pattern.

satan here is used as part of a phrase ba'derech le'satan lo - how
do you justify taking it out of the phrase?

How would "ba'derech" fit into your phrase - "for an adversary to him"?
I like the KJV rendering "and the angel of the LORD stood in the way
for an adversary against him"

So as not be hippocritical here are some examples of this exact vowel
pattern used with nouns and a lamed prefix:

Deut 28:37
1Sam 10:12
1Kings 9:7
Ps 49:5
Ps 69:12
2Chr 7:20
Hab 1:9

This exact noun and vowel pattern occurs also
Num 22:32 Almost same phrasing
1 Sam 29:4
2 Sam 19:23

The Samuel references seem extremely clear that they are nouns.

Joel Stucki