b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Numbers 22:22 - S+N a verb or noun?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Numbers 22:22 - S+N a verb or noun?
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 15:18:08 -0700

Peter, you are quite right. I read an unpointed text, and to do this
it is imperative that I take into account the syntax and context of
the words. Syntax points to L%+N in this verse to be an infinitive
verb.

As for the pointing, I would have to look up a pointed text to see how
the Masoretes pointed it. If, and I trust you all are right, it is
pointed as a noun, I view syntax and context as overriding pointing
and therefore this is one of the many examples of where the Masoretes
were wrong. (Although with an accuracy rate of 99% or thereabouts, the
Masoretes did a pretty good job.)

Karl W. Randolph.

On 7/10/06, Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org> wrote:
On 10/07/2006 01:22, Joel Stucki wrote:
> On 7/9/06, K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Looking at the context, it is clearly a verb, infinitive. This is not
>> a common verb (nor noun, for that matter) so that it could be found
>> only once in this particular form in Tanakh is not surprising.
>> However, it follows well attested to patterns.
>>
>> Karl W. Randolph.
>>
> Are you altering the vowels to reach this conclusion? ...

Presumably Karl, as always, is working from an unpointed text.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org