b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Numbers 22:22 - S+N a verb or noun?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Joel Stucki" <joel AT stucki.ws>
  • To: "MarjorieAlley AT cs.com" <MarjorieAlley AT cs.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Numbers 22:22 - S+N a verb or noun?
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 18:21:47 -0700

On 7/11/06, MarjorieAlley AT cs.com <MarjorieAlley AT cs.com> wrote:

In a message dated 7/10/2006 12:25:37 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
joel AT stucki.ws writes:

So as not be hippocritical here are some examples of this exact vowel
pattern used with nouns and a lamed prefix:

Deut 28:37
1Sam 10:12
1Kings 9:7
Ps 49:5
Ps 69:12
2Chr 7:20
Hab 1:9

This exact noun and vowel pattern occurs also
Num 22:32 Almost same phrasing
1 Sam 29:4
2 Sam 19:23

The Samuel references seem extremely clear that they are nouns.

Joel ---

Thanks for posting the examples. I am really curious about how you managed
to find the ones in the first list.

The ones in the second list are easily found with a concordance (I looked in
Even-Shoshan) or a Bible software search engine (I used Logos).

But how did you manage to find the first ones? I am impressed <s>!

LOL. Would you believe from memory?
I'm mostly kidding. I have a very good Hebrew concordance. I looked up
nouns that I knew where qametz-qametz nouns. Then scanned the forms
they appeared in looking for the lamed prefix being used where the
noun was indefinite. Most of the nouns I could think of were not
attested in that specific form but i got lucky on several of them. But
both lists were made the old fashioned way: out of books not bytes.

Joel Stucki