b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Numbers 22:22 - S+N a verb or noun?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Joel Stucki" <joel AT stucki.ws>
  • To: "MarjorieAlley AT cs.com" <MarjorieAlley AT cs.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Numbers 22:22 - S+N a verb or noun?
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 19:25:06 -0700

On 7/9/06, MarjorieAlley AT cs.com <MarjorieAlley AT cs.com> wrote:

You said "The current vowels do not support an infinitive," and that is what
I was going by, as well. My various reference grammars (GKC, Jouon, van der
Merwe) all give the paradigm for the infinitive construct as (l)q:tol ---
shewa, holem.

Using the vowels in the MT, this would have to be a noun rather than an
infinitve construct, correct?

Marjorie Alley

Correct. I am not aware of that vowel combination supporting any kind
of infinitive or other verb but if anyone disagrees I would like to
know an example. It can of course be revoweled.
Joel Stucki