b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "I Am" vs. "I Will Be" (word order)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf Furuli" <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "I Am" vs. "I Will Be" (word order)
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 09:45:46 +0100

Dear Bryan,

The word order of a clause may change the mode or the stress of it. So, yes, a and b *may* signal a difference in meaning. Clause b is somewhat strange, though. The problem is that there are many clause-initial YIQTOLs in the Tanakh which appear to be indicative. So word order is not conclusive; we need some other clues from the context to draw particular conclusions. The clause )HYH )$R )HYE seems to have a formulaic character, and I see nothing in the context suggesting a modal force.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo

----- Original Message ----- From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>