b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] "I Am" vs. "I Will Be"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Awohili AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Awohili AT aol.com
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] "I Am" vs. "I Will Be"
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 13:25:58 EDT

Well, we can ride this carousel forever, but I will merely state that I
remain unconvinced that "I am" is the best translation for Exodus 3:14. I
could
match scholar with scholar, commentator with commentator, ancient and
modern,
but see no need to do that. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion on
the matter. As for me, I will go with "I Will Be."

But so far I have seen no answer to a simple question. If it is *not*
acceptable to translate ehyeh at Exodus 3:14 as "I will be," why do so many
English versions do just that, two verses prior, at Exodus 3:12? What
changes?
Grammar? Context? How so?

Solomon Landers